Re: sustainability

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:42:16 +0100

> From: gamartin_at_...
>> sustainability traditions *are* very real - their lives depend on
>it. They
>> can't go to Macas if they killed one too many deer last season -
>the deer
>> are gone forever, and the people starve. There tends to be a touch
>
>Sure, but I'm not sure its done sufficiently consciously to justify
>it as an opinion or philosophy. Are Odaylans, or other Gloranthans,
>able to take the step back and see this argument in the abstract?
>I'm not sure they have a good enough overview - their data is largely
>limited to personal experience, and they have no tools for conducting
>comparative population analyses of various fauna.

I know that hunter-gatherers often engaged in practices that promoted food collection. The best known examples are in gathering, but I'm sure that similar practices must relate to hunting. As John pointed out, it is slightly different with mega-fauna. There are very few cases of mega-fauna surviving very long.

On the other hand the models of mega-fauna extinction take hundreds of years for large land masses. Given that Glorantha is so young, I don't see the prevalence of mega fauna as such a big problem. Glorantha also has culture heroes that could teach things like (relatively) sustainable hunting practices.

Thom