Re: Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:29:09 -0400

gamartin_at_... wrote:

> > You're speaking of Glorantha, right? Our world has a long tradition
> > of taking too much. IIRC Jared Diamond gives a good explanation of
> > the extinction of North American megafauna in "Guns, Germs, and
> > Steel."
>
> Hmm, well, without going too far off topic, its possible that some of
> the later Amerindian concern to originate from a dim inherited memory
> of the megafauna period, and Lessons Learned, so to speak.
> Certainly, they experienced the wholesale exploitation approach taken
> by advancing Europeans as "unnatural":

check out buffalo jump and similar hunting sites which were in continual use from the ancient times to the 1850's. And of course one reason for the lack of extinctions until recently is more likely a lack of technology. Experiences in northern Canada indicated that once the Innu got their hands on decent rifles, the Muskoxen were exterminated from most of the tundra and the caribou herds were very badly damaged. Draw what conclusions you like from it but I find the current infatuation with the 'good pure wonderful' natives to be... interesting.

But this IS getting quite OT.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant