Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:52:42 -0000

> Having posted a couple times now, I'm not sure how I'm relating to
> playing Hero Wars in Glorantha. Probably my point is just that
> there's no requirement for an Odaylan to behave in an ecological
way,
> and you should do whatever's the most fun in your campaign. If your

I think that they probably would behave in what we think of as an ecological way, but without being conscious of that function. Glorantha of course has the ready tool to handle this, via religion, which was of course exactly as real human societies experienced it. I'm just wary of trying to emulate too much of the modern analysis.

For example, the practice of thanking the animal you have killed for the sacrifice it made to keep you alive establishes a very personal relationship between the hunter and the hunted. This is TOTALLY different to the mindset that sees an animal as food on the hoof, a walking resource to be exploited in the most efficient manner available. Even if the practice is the same - every part is used - the motive is different, and in fact NOT using everything you took might be "sinful" to the Respectful Hunter. Thus, the Respectful Hunter kills according to need (regardless of whether their society is over-exploiting as a body).

> Odaylan is simply a trophy hunter, taking far more than he actually
> needs, it wouldn't suspend my disbelief. If he carefully maintains
> shrine to the Mother of Mammals, so that he doesn't harm the wild
> herds, that's reasonable too.

Yeah, those sound cool to me too.