Re: Re: 7 Mothers?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:51:25 +1200

Mark Gaelotti:

>To me, the key thing about the Provincial Church, and
>precisely what makes it such an effective and flexible agency, is
>that it is made up of a range of different cults and types of cult,
>which means it can respond to local circumstances. The idea of a
>single 'Cult of the Seven Mothers' is, I think, a relic of Cults of
>Prax, and no longer relevant or accurate.

I do feel that the Seven Mothers Cult is still a recognizable concept within the provincial church. It is mentioned in the Glorantha: Intro p131 ("To convert the provinces, the New Monks created the Church of the Seven Mothers, or the Provincial Church. Instead of worshipping the Goddess directly, worship of the Mothers of the Goddess is emphasized, drawing upon parallels between the Seven Mothers and the Orlanthi Lightbringers.")

--Peter Metcalfe