Re: Re: 7 Mothers?

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:41:22 GMT

"Mark Galeotti" <hia15_at_...> writes:

>The idea of a
>single 'Cult of the Seven Mothers' is, I think, a relic of Cults of
>Prax, and no longer relevant or accurate.

Doesn't Cults of Prax depict the religions _as encountered in Prax_ ? The Lunars may have despaired of explaining the true subtleties of their Provincial Church to a bunch of smelly animistic nomads, and just lumped the whole thing together into a single artificial cult for ease of conversion. Personnel shortages may have played a part too. In civilised lands each of the 7 Mothers would have their own priests and missionaries, but in Prax a single missionary might be expected to represent the entire Church, conducting a mish-mash of worship services to all seven God(desse)s and converting nomads to "the Lunar Way" without getting too specific about which individual deity they were following. Once Lunar rule was firmly established, there'd be time to sort out the confusion. [Though for that matter, confusion is presumably holy to followers of the Goddess of Madness].

Stephen