Re: Uleria?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:44:43 -0500

Tim Ellis asks:

>What do the panel think are the affinities for Uleria
>
>I'm thinking "Love", "Community" and "Fertility" where she is
>worshiped as a goddess and "Lust" and "Fertility" wahere she is
>considered more of a demon (So those Heortlings who are having
>difficulty producing children despite Ernalda's blessings may turn to
>Uleria, but risk unleashing her lust as well...)

        Taking the broad view (i.e. not worrying too much about what the Heortlings think), I suspect Uleria can be worshipped according to any system. As a survivor of the Celestial Court, She is more "defiant" than Storm Bull/Urox. So, you could have sorcerous Ulerians, Theist Ulerians, and Animist Ulerians (possibly worshipping Her under different names and not acknowledging that Uleria=their Goddess/Saint/Essence/Spirit/whatever). Someone who advanced far enough in any of these philosophies might be able to gain abilities from other "versions" of Uleria, just like Storm Bullies can learn Uroxi Affinties once they get far enough along. Various philosophies are going to stess different aspects of the "primordial Uleria" -- so you'll have some "hippy love-in" philosophies, some prostitute cults, some disturbing apocalyptic groups, etc (I like to think that Delecti started out as a sorcerous adept of Uleria or something similar; look at how good he is at breaking down barriers between things...).

        Having said this, it's possible that the "true" worship of Uleria would look like Mysticism -- an extreme Orthodox Mysticism at that -- where the practitioner tries to dissolve the whole world into love (at least as far as they are concerned). So "high-end" Ulerians might be pretty indistinguishable from "high-end" Lunars. All you need is Love (or the Red Goddess), Baby....

Peter Larsen