Re: Re: Uleria?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:24:37 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

>As for the question of whether Uleria is Orthodox or Manifest,
>Orthodox mysticism is only obtainable by austerities and other
>tactics of self-denial. Any method that uses worldly practices
>(i.e. sex, drug-taking etc) is Manifest. Uleria fits better in
>the latter category.

        I think this is an excessively narrow view of Orthodox and Manifest Mysticism. The most striking difference between the two paths (as seen on HW, p.217) is withdrawing from the world (Orthodox) vs unification with the world (Manifest). I can imagine Ulerians fitting both models, although Manifest Mysticism is, I'll agree, a more obvious choice. Of course, our understanding of Mysticism is still pretty limited, and Uleria is a likely special case in any system; I think arguing this is pretty futile, at least until the next iteration of the Mysticism rules appears.

Peter Larsen