Re: Re: 7 Mothers?

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:34:22 +0100

In article <5.0.2.1.2.20010715233824.00a4a530_at_...>, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> writes
>Kevin Blackburn:

[snip]

>Secondly the number of lunar initiates in the provincial population
>is small. 5% is my impression (as opposed to 2% in the Heartlands).
>Initiates are generally wealthy layabouts, political agitators, jaded
>hedonists, bootlicking toadies etc. rather than being your average
>hard-working citizen struggling in through day-job (although there
>are some lunars in the last category).

If that's right it opens a whole new reason for hating Lunar converts - they are a bunch of slackers who don't try hard enough to need the edge given by a focused deity. In somewhere like Prax I'd count it as a reason for exiling someone in its own right. It also seems to rather focus the missionary efforts on such slackers.

It's a view point I hadn't thought of before. I thought the Lunars wanted everyone to join.

[Snip]

>>If Orlanth & Ernalda weren't dead or banned it would be a no-contest in
>>an open market.
>
>Ernalda isn't banned.

Though recent discussions seem to imply that the Chaining of Orlanth in Dragon Pass after Whitewall also wrecks Ernaldan magic there.

>>For that matter, encouraging your provinces to think of Revenge doesn't
>>seem a brilliant empire-building move, unless you keep those thoughts
>>very focused.
>
>I've explained my interpretation of Revenge above. Further
>elucidation will probably belong on the Glorantha Digest as this
>is Entekosiad stuff.
>
>That said, the Lunars are not into Empire-building. Their aim
>is propagation of Lunar consciousness (of whatever variety and
>flavor). They find the Empire to be a useful vessel spreading
>the Lunar Way _but_ there is always a contradiction between this
>and the needs of a well-governed empire (which the Dara Happans
>embody). IMO the Lunars err in favour of spreading the Lunar
>Way - that way, the empire is constantly going to pot (despite
>the best efforts of the Dara Happans) with widespread disorders.
>It's more fun that way.

It also fits nicely with the flirting with chaos and the general madness aspect - the Lunar Empire just simply can't be efficient, and is inherently flawed - but takes strength from this. Sort of.

I can feel my Glorantha varying again!

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...