Mostali and Giants

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:46:53 +0200 (CEST)

John wrote (long ago):

"Secondly, more personally, I don't run giants in mundane campaigns, for the same reasons I don't run Mostali - I can't get them to work"

What? Why can't you get Mostali to work? I can see the problem with giants, but Mostali have always worked in my campaigns as long as I play them, not as generic fantasy dwarves, but as creepy, unfriendly little monsters with dangerous magic and sticks that kill from a distance.

Peter Nordstrands five rules when using Mostali in his campaigns:

  1. Don't mention dwarves. There are no dwarves in Glorantha. Also ignore every picture ever published portraying Mostali (since every picture ever published shows generic fantasy dwarfs, not wierd three feet tall goblins).
  2. Give every Mostali a speciality, which he/she is really, really good at. Then let the bugger be completely inept at everything else.
  3. Everytime the player heroes encounter a group of Mostali, they (the Mostali) must always use some kind of semi-mechanical trinket (a fire-maker, a mosquito deterrant, a tooth-polisher, etc.). If the heroes get their hands on the trinket, it will invariably be exteremely dangerous to handle, and impossible to get to work. *
  4. Let the heroes learn the following the hard way: Never trust a Mostali. Never make a deal with them. If possible, avoid them. If you can't avoid them, treat them kindly, and with respect, and perhaps you'll make it.
  5. You are trying to access classified information. The machine does not tolerate unauthorized intrusion.

This stone tablet will self-destruct in T-10 time units.

/Peter Nordstrand

*) Extremely dangerous to handle and impossible to get to work? That could be a description of me, although I usually don't blow up in your face, but tent to ooze my way into your skull, causing brain-fever.

Do You Yahoo!?
Ditt_namn_at_... - skaffa en gratis mailadress p� http://mail.yahoo.se