Re: Re: Gloranthan Movies

From: Ben Waggoner <benwaggoner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:48:35 -0700 (PDT)

> - Robin Hood and his followers are the prototypical
> hero band
> resisting oppressive nobility (be it norman, lunar,
> or other). Sure
> it is a complete fable in almost all versions, but
> it's enduring
> popularity does suggest there are worst thing you
> could use as a
> model....besides which most film versions are chock
> full of ideas of
> how to run various contests as dramatic events.
> (although I admit
> the old disney animated version is my favorite there
> are probably
> other adaptations more suited inspiring HW ideas).
>
> hmmmm, come to think of I generally prefer books to
> movies.....maybe
> that is somehow related to the fact that as a game
> master I tend to
> have a ton of trouble with pacing and inserting too
> much detail.
>
> --Bryan

Bryan,

The same year the terrible Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie came out, there was a far, far superior European one made with Patrick Bergen as Robin and Uma Thurman as Maid Marion. It didn't get theatrical relase in the US, but is around on video. Good and gritty, with a nuanced focus on the relationship of the older Saxon nobility and the new Norman overlords with definite applicability to Sartar/Lunar stuff. And I promise that Maid Marion kicks ass in a non-anachronistic fashion, and doesn't bust anyone over the head with a vase in the climactic fight scenes.

Highly recommended. Easily the best Robin Hood I've ever scene, and definitely the most realistic and comprehensible.

There was also a Robin Hood series on Showtime in the early 80's, which starred for some of its run Sean Connery's son. It was very mythic oriented, with symbolic Druid doings. Seemed very deep when I was 12, but haven't seen it since. No idea if it is available in any form. Think it was called "Robin of Sherwood."

-Ben Waggoner

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/