Re: Crystals in the west

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:07:03 +1200

Mikko wrote:

>Crystals are the blood of powerful entities.

That's probably the theistic view.

>We have seen crystals from the blood of the gods, and some from giants
>(the difference may be very small there).

What's the giant crystal reference?

>I don't remember seeing anything about crystals from spirits.

Our knowledge of crystals comes from sources that do not emphasize the difference between Gods and Spirits. There is however the Spirit-supporting crystal that was used in spirit combat. Nowadays it might be treated as being an animist crystal.

>What about in the west? Are there crystals to be found, and are they the
>same as the ones that can be found in Dragon Pass / Prax? Do we find
>firemagic crystals that people say are from the wounds of St. Gerlant?

Elder Secrets long ago spoke about a type of crystal type attuned to sorcery rather than spirit magic so there is some evidence for their existence (another is the crystal pommel in the hilt of the Machine City Sword).

Whatever the origin of crystals, I doubt that the Malkioni say they are of the blood of powerful entities. They already have saintly relics for that purpose by the bucketload.

IMO they would claim the crystals as being the common gems (e.g. quartz) of the spell (and higher) planes that have somehow been brought into the mortal world.

--Peter Metcalfe