Re: Crystals in the west

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:51:00 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Mikko wrote:
>
> >Crystals are the blood of powerful entities.
>
> That's probably the theistic view.

I was also thinking of some of the references to demon-blood crystals and such likes. Hearts of the Hollri, etc...

(From TBoDR vol. Darkness, so not quite canonical but a neat idea)

> >We have seen crystals from the blood of the gods, and some from giants
> >(the difference may be very small there).
>
> What's the giant crystal reference?

In "Shadows on the Borderland", the "Dyskund Caverns" scenario. Nice stuff about crystals there: (p.49)

Salt of the Earth:
"This crystal is powerfully aligned to the rune of Man. While attuned to this crystal, the character feels a deep sympathy and understanding of the misfortunes of mortal man, especially older mortals in debilitating old age". (This blood came from ancient Giants who fought against Tien.)

> >I don't remember seeing anything about crystals from spirits.
>
> Our knowledge of crystals comes from sources that do not emphasize
> the difference between Gods and Spirits. There is however the
> Spirit-supporting crystal that was used in spirit combat. Nowadays it might
> be treated as being an animist crystal.

! Good point.

> >What about in the west? Are there crystals to be found, and are they the
> >same as the ones that can be found in Dragon Pass / Prax? Do we find
> >firemagic crystals that people say are from the wounds of St. Gerlant?
>
> Elder Secrets long ago spoke about a type of crystal type attuned to
> sorcery rather than spirit magic so there is some evidence for their
> existence (another is the crystal pommel in the hilt of the Machine
> City Sword).

True. Rare spell reinforcing crystals, if I remember it correctly. A small percentage was aligned to sorcery. Parhaps in the west most are...

> Whatever the origin of crystals, I doubt that the Malkioni say they
> are of the blood of powerful entities. They already have saintly
> relics for that purpose by the bucketload.

  =D

> IMO they would claim the crystals as being the common gems (e.g.
> quartz) of the spell (and higher) planes that have somehow been
> brought into the mortal world.

Not a bad idea. The materialistic mindset propably sees the sorcery plane as being made of matter anyhow, so it's not such a strange concept to them.

        -Adept