Re: Metals & Mining in Dragon Pass

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:12:42 -0400

stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

> hy there,
>
> I tired to answer this by consulting the archives, KoS, TR, ES & ST,
> but couldn't find a single entry, so I may dare:
>
> Where do the [red-, bone-]smiths in Sartar get their metal from?

Ancient smiths often fished for their own. Its God-bone stuff and is found naturally.

> I don't know of any tribe having a reputation for this, but my
> Gustbran-PC surely wants to know this...

he might know places in the hills where he can get it for himself...

> Even more important, how do they distribute the metal between the clan
> & tribes, no matter if imported or self-"produced"? the lunars will
> cut any trade, especially with revolting clans [as my pc's clan is
> suppossed to be =]

I've always felt that there should be a mining god. There's one in UW but he's really nto to my taste.

The BIG problem with large scale mining in ancient times was that it was slave intensive. Working in mines, even until recently, ate people alive.

I think there was some discussion on this list about mining and mining techiques, though it may have been on the hw-rules list.

Jeff