Re: Raiding question

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:16:03 -0400

stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

> silly questions, part 2:
>
> since all sartarite clan do raid cattle, I just wondered what damage
> [due raiding] must be done for a raid being a cause for war/feud or a
> legal case on tribe level?

Slaughtering the herdsmen.

Burning a stead.

Refusing to pay bloodprice is, of course, grounds for feud.

But most feuds are long-simmering affairs that have been derived from other, less common, causes. Everyone raids for cattle. Its just more annoying to be raided successfully by someone you hate.

> another question: why aren't the raiders being pursued in their own
> tula? their wyter could be an explanation, but they faced one, too,
> while raiding, so this shouldn't be a problem...?!
> do clan of the same tribe raid each other regulary?

AIE! You don't go onto another clan's tula. Its just the way things are. Afterall, since they knew they are raiding, its likely that there would be a warband waiting to greet the raiders when they get back.

To pursue like that escalates the matter dramatically. Its far better to just raid them back in a few weeks or days.

Its like a bar-fight -- you just don't pull a knife or a gun. Its just not done.

Jeff