Re: Raiding question

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:29:30 -0500

More on raiding, when stefan asks:

>so that's more a matter of sport, with winners and losers, and not a
>law case, at least not if it's done according to the rules and
>there's no bloodshed?

        I think that "friendly" combat among the Heortlings is rougher than the equivalent in the RW, because of healing magic, so I expect there's sometimes quite a bit of bloodshed -- lawsuits and/or feuds begin when someone is killed or maimed (because of a lack or failure of healing or because you did something dumb and brought a Humakti on your raid). Otherwise, it's all "good fun." Of course, if a long standing feud exists between clans, raids are going to be nastier and serious injuries more common (fueling the feud).

        This sort of "friendly" raiding can be contrasted with the behavior of War Clans and especially the Tarsh Exiles (yea, Unspoken Word!) who raid as an important part of their economy rather than a way for young warriors to earn names and experience. These clans are more likely to ignore lawsuits, kill on raids, and generally behave badly -- the only response is to kill enough of them to make your clan an unappealing target (or get your neighbors together and wipe the raiders out). Fortunately for the Sartari, the Upland Marsh pretty much discourages large raids from the Exiles; it's just your nasty neighbors you need to worry about.

Peter Larsen