Re: Raiding question

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:30:51 -0000

Peter Larsen wrote:
>I agree with this, but I think it still goes to a formal
lawsuit -- the ring gets together, the lawspeakers are called, jurors are collected. Any claim for compensation should be made before the whole clan -- for one thing, it lets the ring and everyone else know what's going on.<

Compensation for injury or killing occurs between clans (otherwise its kinstrife) so the the clan ring and clan would certainly be involved in the decision to pursue compensation. That is one reason to approach the juror first, he'll tell you whether it is worth summoning the kinfolk to debate the issue of compensation. Then you have to convince the clan to ask.

If the clan agrees to purseu the matter they don't necessarily have to go to a tribal moot to get compensation. If your not feuding or hostile to the other clan then its more likely emissaries are sent to the offenders clan to request the compensation. If that doesn't bring you any satisfaction, then it may be time to go to law, but I think that this kind of out-of-court settlement is a favoured choice. Sometimes, sure, you may just go stright to the tribe, maybe you want to display your grievances with the other clan to the tribe to win support, but a lot of the time, for minor infractions its easier to debate the matter directly.

Ian Cooper