Re: Raiding question

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:52:26 -0000

Peter Larsen:

<snipped the outline of tribal moot proceedings>

I think the difference between our views may not actually be that great.

IMO when Clan A and Clan B initially talk directly, as you describe, that this is often an attempt, made on the victim's behalf, by his clan to 'settle out of court'. The lawspeakers may provide legal arguments as to wy they should be compensated, but it will be about politics too, and clan B's ring will decide, on legal advice from their own side, but also on the basis of politics.

Think of KoDP where you get requests for compensation from other clans.

And, in the same way modern legal cases are often settled out of court, by each sides lawyers, before they ever reach trial. But if the two sides cannot reach a settlement, or have no desire to try, then they go to court to get a ruling by another party.

What I am trying to suggest is that there is an escalation, and there are built in points to avoid going to court or starting a feud ...if you want to take them.

Ian Cooper