Range War

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:12:44 -0700

> Tear down the fence. That's what we did when that happened. But I'd
> suggest getting the land surveyed... if you haven't already had that
> done recently. If someone fences it off for too long a time and it is
> not contested, they tend to get Squatter's Rights in the courts.

Around here squatters don't get rights for several years. Everyone involved knows the property lines - we had them surveyed when we bought the land 30 years ago, and he used our survey when he straightened the fences 12 years ago (fences around here normally go from tree to tree to save on buying fenceposts, so they scraggle within 10' or so of the property line). Also, this isn't the first time he's fenced off our land - he's only done 1 acre this time (still Grand Theft under California law) - last time he fenced off about 10 acres. He refuses to respond to neighborly discussion or non-litigative letters from our lawyer, so we decided to be mean & nasty & have him busted. We don't want to go through the hassle of a lawsuit, so we jumped one level of aggression simply because we are *majorly* pissed at him.

He is generally despised by everyone in our valley - we're not the only one whose property he has fenced off. If you say "The Asshole", everyone in the valley knows who you mean. Heck the Sheriff is getting tired of him, and Animal Control winces everytime she hears his name. All we have to do is convince the DA to see it as a Criminal case.

> Roderick's Range War!
>
> Just leave my sheep out of it for they are fluffy and innocent.

This here's cattle country, boy. You put them sheep on it and it's mutton for dinner. And sheep are only innocent 'cause they's too stupid to get clever.

Just to bring it back to Glorantha...

We actually have here a case similar to one of the problems I had to deal with as Mad Blood Malan, except that we *do* have surveyed lines. Having failed to get satisfaction through peaceful means, we are ratcheting up the feud (to the criminal court, instead of ambushes and house burnings...). It also shows the benefits of riding the boundaries every few months, as I *know* the fence wasn't there last time I was down at that end of our property.

RR