RE: Phalanxes

From: Michael Doolittle <mdoolitt_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:56:19 -0400

Again, Alexander had a mixed force army. The Sun Domers apparently do not, judging by the previous comment that "the clan needs vigilant guardians and individual heroes, not a bloody phalanx!" Which is why I raised the idea that _maybe_ temples outside of Prax had developed different traditions.

> Hmm, Macedonia would closely resemble the terrain in Aggar methinks. The
> bulk of the phalanx of foot companions were recruited from terrain
similar to
> that of the Aggari. It could be argued that mountainous terrain is
idealised
> for the phalanx given the likelyhood of the flanks of the formation being
> covered. In fact we can see a lot of battles in that region where the
> phalanx had secured its flanks on a mountain or forest.

> IMO there is no reason why Aggar could not support a people based phalanx
> levy culture.

The question wasn't Aggar but Sun Dome Temples. The Macedonians had plenty of unit types. The impression I get from the list members is that Yelmalions can fight one way and only way. Thus my query.

Good gaming
Mike D