RE: Re: First Game - Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:53:12 +1200

Mike Doolittle:

> > The Angry Lake is in Aggar, not Tarsh, and two of those temples
> > are in Holay. Since Tarsh only has one Sun Dome despite being the
> > biggest province, I don't think they have much of a problem with
> > Elmali.

>The nearest one is ~25 miles from the border. This is too far for cultural
>influence?

Cultural influence is a bit of a drift from the question about whether Tarsh has Elmali. There is only one Sun Dome Temple in all of Tarsh and that's situated in a remote location. Hence I don't see why Tarshites should hate Elmali. Secondly Cultural Influence only goes so far: the grandeur of the vatican doesn't make protestants submit to the pope.

> > The Temples might still muster out in phalanxes IMO but since
> > they don't fight each other, they don't recognize the error of
> > doing so in a hilly country..

>That would be a great idea if they existed all by themselves on a peninsula.
>But they are, in fact, surrounded by people who would be only too glad to
>show them the errors of their ways.

The Sun Dome temples do not have neighbours "all too glad to show them the errors of their ways" (Prax does, but it's not relevant here). They live in Lunar territory where people prefer peace over the Orlanthi ethic "raid thy neighbour as thyself". Secondly these temples do not fight by themselves. They fight alongside other forces (peltasts, cavalry etc) either as mercenaries or in serving the local king.

--Peter Metcalfe