Re: Metals & Mining in Dragon Pass

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:04:41 -0000

> One of the best-known mining towns in Dragon Pass is Tink, out in
the
> dragonewt wilds, and hideout for Forang Farosh. They have access to
what
> remains of a bronze god skeleton. Probably accessible only through
> tunnels, or the deposits would have been exploited by now.

I have run a scenario based on an old RQ magazine (RQA or Tradetalk, I forget which), which I recall described Tink as the fading remnants of a once-significant mining town, now the bronze was all mined out.

> Metal can be found as metal - godbones or fragments thereof, or
> semi-rotten remnants of battles in the Dragonkill War - or as ore.

Gustbran also has feats to alloy bronze from Rune metals... about the most expensive method I can imagine.

> Theoretically it should be possible to cast bronze swords in moulds
and
> then only hammer out the edges. Is that part of what the Machine
City
> did?

Historically, this was a common method, but I'd have to do a bit of reading to be sure who by. It's how I assume Gloranthans do it, with a bit of help from Gustbran's magic.

Wulf