Re: Is Glasswall a vitrified fort.

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:40:02 +0100 (BST)

Ian wrote:

> Strangely one of the best summaries I can find is from this somewhat
> crackpot site:

Thanks ever so much for posting this link. I have never read such a cogent account of the evidence for ancient atomic warfare against Scottish hill forts!

> Surely, Glasswall is a vitrified fort!

I'm wholly persuaded. Dragonfire, anyone?

> There do appear to be Arthurian glass walled forts...

I recall from my Arthurian studies that the Celtic word 'glas' can mean just about any colour or substance, including grey, green, silver and glass.

That said, the confusion means there is a generally accepted modern view that magical Arthurian castles can have walls of glass (just as Cinderella's slippers are generally held to be of glass, not fur), and I fully accept that this translates well into fantasy imagery and thus Glorantha.

Cheers, Nick