Re: Re: Lunar attitudes to Malkioni and vice-versa

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:14:36 +0100 (BST)

Simon wrote:

> In Fronela, the Lunars are seperated from the main centre of
> Malkioni power by the Kingdom of War.

Correction: in Fronela, the Lunar *Empire* is separated from the main centre of Malkioni power by the Kingdom of War. The Arrolian Lunars are bang up next to Fronelan Malkioni in Syanor, and their missionaries can be encountered throughout Junora as far afield as Sogolotha Mambrola.

> How closely in the Lunar Empire associated, in western minds, with
> the Bright Empire? If any such identification exists, it can only
> be extremely negative.

That association exists in some (perhaps more scholarly) Western minds, certainly, as Peter also recognised. But is it necessarily any more negative than the more local powers which voluntarily identify themselves with the (hated, castigated) Dark Empire of Arkat the Deceiver?

I agree (of course) that there are many, many good reasons for Malkioni to look down upon Lunars, and vice versa. I doubt a single "school of thought" has prevailed in either faction. But it's certainly fun making them up!

(PS: Mike Hagen suggested Fazzur -- with a scimitar -- could play a Lunar Saladin vs. Richard the Tigerhearted -- in heavy iron plate -- for a bit of Crusader-era colour. An encounter between two great civilisations, that kinda thing).

Cheers, Nick