Re: Issaries Competition

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:16:23 -0500

Darran Sims says:

>What about other competitions for other deities?
>Maybe held all at once like the ancient olympic games. They were
>religious festivals held every four years and a period of peace
>existed between the warring city states while they were on.
>Although they would more likely resemble scottish Highland games,
>there would be MGF in warring and feuding clans having an uneasy
>truce as they all travel to compete in the games. The intrigue, the
>frayed tempers and the games themselves!

        Obviously, tossing heavy rocks long distances is sacred to Hedkoranth, javelin tossing honors Vinga, um, staying awake for long periods (marathon watch-holding, anyone?) supports Rigsdal, weapon feats are good for Humakt.... You could pretty easily design a "Highland Games" style competition using Garhound as a model (for the mechanics). It might be one part of the tribal-level community support (part of choosing or ratifying a king/champion/ring). Alternately, holy days for various gods could include a contest or two to see who will stand in for a god/hero/enemy for the rituals. I could see 3 contests, one each for Orlanth Adventurous, Allfather, and Thunderous if you wanted smaller games, plus individual contests for related cults.... Besides, this gives a chance for different tribes/clans to have different rules for the same contest, leading to claims of cheating, duels, bad feelings, raiding, feuds, and all sorts of Heortling fun. "What do you mean I won the "scorpion challenge" and my prize is to play Bagog in the Summons of Evil?"

Peter Larsen