Humakt in risen from the dead shock

From: nuanarpoq_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:54:43 -0000

er.. browsing through KOS tonight i was struck by part of the lightbringer myth, when Orlanth reaches Hell and is seeing all the dead gods: Ernalda is there, dusty and barren; Yinkin is there, nailed to gibbet or something; and amongst others, Humakt is there, bent and rusty.

this raises a few questions for me.

  1. how did Humakt get there? we know that Orlanth buckles on his sword called Humakt before setting off on the LBQ - so was he carried in? on the other hand, Humakti myth is that the big H helps Orlanth head west with a well aimed blow, not that he was carried.
  2. the implication is that Humakt is dead - he's bent and rusty. who offed him? come to think of it, are there any myths of Humakt's great anti-chaos crusades during the darkness?
  3. if he was dead, then he must have been resurrected along with eveyone else during the compromise. so where does he get off on stopping his followers returning from the dead? he doesn't strike me as being a hypocritical kind of god.
  4. if flamal was dead, that means that the force of the grower had left the world. if yelm was dead, it means that the sun and order had left the world. but Humakt? surely death was the one thing the world still had going for it? if Humakt was dead, what happened to death?

surely these are not new ideas, and amongst the Minds who Know, there is an answer. please.

guy