Re: Issaries Competition

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:32:47 EDT

In a message dated 16/08/01 08:52:05 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< And of course all the crafting contests (Gustbran, Minlister, Ernalda), ploughing the straightest furrows (Barntar), feats of strength (Vogarth the Strong Man), aerial acrobatics (Vanganth the Flyer, or maybe even skywriting using smoky torches...just kidding), declamation or debates (Lhankor Mhy), music and poetry competitions (various deities), tall tale telling (Issaries), etc. >>

     Of course, we Loskalmi do all of this already,. and what's more, we do it *properly*. Annual fairs, with all the organisation and judging handled by the authorities, to test the skills of the farmer class. Those who do well earn the right for social promotion, giving a real incentive to excel rather than merely boosting unseemly pride or handing out a few magic trinkets or whatever you barbarians do.

     And, of course, it doesn't stop there. For those who have already been knighted we have tournaments, which are far more exciting and splendid than watching a couple of tattooed louts chucking rocks across a field. Of course, the Seshnelans hold tournaments too, but theirs aren't as nice as ours, not by a long way. Not only do ours look much better, with parades and decorated stands for the spectators, but we take proper safety precautions, so as not to waste the flower of chivalry before they have the chance to protect us from a real enemy. They're fun for all the family, too, and a great day out for the local farmers. Its not just the contestants who stand to gain social advance at these events, either - its a wonderful opportunity for single women to meet young knights, evaluate their skill at arms and to chat and dance in a suitably decorous and chaperoned environment at the formal balls in the evenings.

      So, once again, the Loskalmi Way shows itself superior to barbarous paganism. Huzzah!

Trotsky