Re: Issaries Competition

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:03:57 -0000

I have run episodes which take place at moots or markets that involve 'sporting' competitions, usually relying on Celtic/Viking parallels as rthese were suggested in the Orlanthi 'What My Father Says'.

http://www.glorantha.com/library/dad/orlanthi.html

"In the autumn when we have time to relax ... We like to wrestle, and among some horse-fighting is popular. The old game of kick-the-ball is played in every clan. Singing is always a favorite, and clapdancing  ... Swords-and-shields is the board game with the greatest challenge."

Iin our Glorantha we have had javelin and rock throwing, wrestling, and horse fights, no soccer yet - but I am very tempted to add a game - and no sword and shields yet though I am tempted to bring this in too.

I'd probably leave hurling and hockey to Ralian Orlanthi, though I would be tempted to have the exiles use the heads of their enemies for their footie games(of course this is not 11 or 5 man a side but the traditional stead vs. stead games more like the medieval version that some English villages still play)

And of course there is always the exceptionally dangerous sport of cheese rolling (has about an 80% casualty rate) which tempts me to be included in an episode, not just because it takes place on Cooper's Hill:

http://www.unimportant-man.co.uk/festival3.htm

feels very Orlanthi to me :-)

Though I am aware that perviously I have forgotten the Ernaldans and cooking, vegatable growing and weaving contests seem likely (which from my aunts description of WI meetings are probably far more seriously contested than anything the men might take part in). There was the excellent quiverberry thread a while ago along similar lines, and what evil forces has the crone Erissa made pacts with to get marrows like that...

Ian Cooper