Heortling games

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:43:09 -0500 (CDT)

Roland Volz says:

> That's what we need now, a small supplement of Orlanthi pastimes:
> sports, games, favored puzzles, etc. We have covered a lot of
> interesting sports; what do people think the board games would be
> like?

        The Heortlings probably have dice of some sort; I can also imagine games like checkers pretty easily. Mixing the two there might be some sort of race game (snakes/chutes and ladders?). "Jumping peg" games like Fox and Geese are likely, too. Perhaps Arkat brought a chess-like game east in the First Age. If not, surely the various Malkioni in the area have introduced something. On the other hand, Orlanthi men are pretty flighty -- would they enjoy the concentration required by chess? It's more of a game for those woman-like Humakti.

        From the Ernaldan side of things, there are a number of African games that involve rows of pits with stones as markers (on version was marketed in the US as Mankala). They are earth-based and rely more on memory, strategy, and planning than luck -- perfect for Heorling women. Dominoes seems like another "earthy" game with bone or clay titles; if something more complex is warranted, maybe something like mah jong? Yeah, it should be Kralorelan, but maybe the God Learners spread it around.

Peter Larsen