Re: Heortling games

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:16:15 -0000

> Other games that might make good models are... any number of
> card games... although cards might be beyond them (painted
> leather? wood? games that use less than 52 cards might have
> an advantage here).

Interestingly enough, for my old game, I came up with a "Gloranthan Tarot" that an old Lhankor Mhy had found, a relic of the EWF possibly dating back even to the Dawn. It consisted of 76 cards, of which 26 were the "Major Arcana" (an obvious inclusion by a later mystic) and the other 50 were the "Minor Arcana," five suits of ten cards each; each suit of cards consisted of a King, Queen, Hero, and seven numbered cards.

It piqued the interest of a number of players and allowed me to include my own prejudices into the game (but doesn't everything?) Anyway, while cards might not be out of the question for Orlanthi and their ingenuity, I can't see them in the normal culture.

A definite Lunar introduction -- soon, renegate Orlanthi printers in the cities will be pirating the designes and changing them to suit Sartarite nationalistic tastes. From there, they'll spread to Pavis and out onto the frontier, where, in a few years, a couple of Pol Joni "cowboys" can be seen in an inn, kicking back a few glasses of firewater and playing a game of Poker...

... nah.

Roland Volz