Re: Re: Heortling boardgames

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:31:38 +0100 (BST)

Ian wrote:
> I'm not sure if [Swords-and-shields] has a histroical antecedent
> that I am unaware of, but I always imagine it to be like Viking
> boardgames, such as Hnefatafl

Or Celtic Gwyddbwyll. For those who care about such things, Nikolai Tolstoy's Celtic novel "The Coming of the King" is a Myrddin's-eye-view of post-Arthurian Saxon campaigns against the British, viewed (in large part) as a massive game of gwyddbwyll. Highly recommended, and packed full with heroquesty incidents (triple deaths, otherworldly visitations, peculiar omens, Beowulf, and the like). Thinking out loud: I must re-read it!

Cheers, Nick