Re: Heortling boardgames

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:13:10 -0000

Simon Hibbs:
> I think playing a game in which you presume to control the
> actions of your gods, or even those of others, would be
> regarded as extreme hubris.

Actually, I think that, to some extent, it is similar to the kind of emulation that is done during heroquests; *someone* has to dress like the gods. Among the Heortlings, the gods are immanent and close to their worshippers. *That* is Ohorlanth in the sky, and right now he is blessing my crops with rain; he is blessing *me, personally*, with food and plenty. So, even though a worshipper is playing a game where the "king" is supposed to represent Orlanth would not presume to think he is in any way controlling the god.

I think a culture where the god(s) are thought to be distanced from their worshippers (such as the Rokari) would have restrictions saying that no one should presume to "play" a god. It would definitely get you penance.

In Carmania, it would get you killed.

Roland Volz