Re: Heortling boardgames

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:46:25 -0000

> Heroquesting is a sacred ritual that calls the forces of the
> otherworld to manifest. Do you realy want that to happen while
> you're playing a game with your friends? I think losing a game
> in which you are playing Orlanth is more bad luck than anyone
> wants.

Theres an Egyptian game, whose name I have forgotten (Senet?) that is a model of the life-path, from birth to heavenly ascension. Bits of the board represent sundry cosmic forces. Whether or not such games ahave a magical significance is an open question, but I'd be inclined to see boardgames as having quite a significant religio-magical dimension.