Heortling games

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:30:48 -0400

> Lunars may worship Rufelza by playing a game where they are Reflected
> in the game world, and they adopt altered states of personality and
> character - in other words, they play role playing games.

A major theme of John M Ford's 'The Final Reflection' is the way the games of a society reflect its deeper values. There's a variant of the Klingon version of chess, the 'reflective game', where there's only one set of pieces and each player can move them in turn, with the moving piece able to capture any other.

This is a Star Trek paperback so tends to be scorned because of the generally poor level of that series, but I think it stands up even for non-fans.

Andrew