Re: non-vingan female 'adventurer' clothing?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:45:44 -0700

> >Does anyone have any ideas on how heortling women who follow other
> >active gods might dress?
>
> Scots clansmen have had no problem at all, other than showing a lot of
> leg, for centuries. I've just returned from a weekend's Live RolePlay
> where the Fir Cruthen faction were all kilted, men and women alike.

Kilts are not female attire. Or, I should say, a man in a kilt isn't "dressing in women's clothes". Besides the Scots, men in the entire Middle East and Mediterrainian wore kilt-like garments for quite a while, Greek and Roman tunics were worn with no leggings, etc. In most areas the difference between a "kilt" and a "dress" was the length (women's apparal generally being longer) (Beware; big, wide, sweeping generalizations at work here...).

I seriously doubt that a male healer (say), would wear a dress, simply because healing is "women's work". He'd wear normal male clothing. Men and "active" women will wear "activewear" clothes that are designed to run, jump and fight in (and plow, forge and carve and build houses...). There *are* long male clothes, such as the medieval Houpalond (sp?) (think a dressing gown or bathrobe that goes to the floor, or a stereotypical wizard's robe) that I can easily imagine LM sages wandering the dusty halls of their temples in, but that still isn't considered "women's clothes" (mostly they are considered "warm"...)

RR