Re: non-vingan female 'adventurer' clothing?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:25:57 -0700

Bryan asked

> We all know about the Vingans distinctive compromise clothing, giving
> them the useful adaptability of wearing trousers while keeping a
> token skirt.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how heortling women who follow other
> active gods might dress? I'm thinking things like female followers
> or Yinkin or Odayla (dresses aren't the best clothes for clambering
> around in the woods), or of Elmal/Redalda, or for that matter
> straight out war gods like Humakt.

I know (from King of Dragon Pass) that women Humakti dress in men's clothing. They don't fit any female role in society. Quite likely the other cults you mention do as well (though Redaldans probably follow the Vingan-style practice and retain an overdress as symbol that they have not given up their feminine nature).

Oliver

> I've always pictured the Vingan skirt ... as being
> something like a wrap around apron rather than a real skirt.

Yeah, that's a reasonable description of the Scandinavian overdress. Vingans wear exactly the same overdress their sisters wear -- see any number of King of Dragon Pass events.

Mike

> I'll bet there's a myth about someone being saved by hiding in
> Vinga's skirt. Or her hiding a weapon there to kill some blowhard.

Given the cut, it's hard to imagine someone hiding under it. But the wearer could hide objects.

[Amusingly, while I was typing this e-mail, a woman with reddish hair came to the door wearing a skirt and trousers. It wasn't an overdress, however.]

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>