Heortling boardgames

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:53:05 -0400

> Taking my godfearing orlanthi hat off for a moment, and puting on
> my modern secularist hat, I've no problem playing god games on a
> computer, or card games where Zeus or Thor are counters in the
> game. I just don't think a Heortling would feel comfortable doing
> it though, and rightly so.

Among the CCGs that followed Magic the Addiction, was one called Redemption produced by Christians. The character cards represent Old and New Testament heroes and villains, and there's even a card for Jesus which trumps everything. They got round the issue of who plays the bad guys by having every player hold cards for both good and evil characters, and allowing any player to oppose attempts by other players to redeem souls.

So there's at least one real-world example of religious believers playing a game with their own god as one of the pieces.

Andrew