Re: Tattoos

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:57:09 +1000

Darran:

> With RQ#3 Tattoos were used as foci for spirit/battle magic which made for
interesting looking characters. Now with the Orlanthi gaining feats what use are the Tattoos?
> Would they be used as Ritual Symbols, rank markers, religious labels,
signs of devotional commitment or all the above?

Thunder Rebels notes that clan members take a tattoo on initiation. It may be stylised runes (of the clan's primary deity,) a marking after their wyter, or something only clan members can recognise.

IMG most of the Orlanthi clans I deal with are proud of their tattoos, and use them to 'boast' of individual deeds and victories. Most Heortlings can read subtle tattoo marks as easily as we read a book, and may learn something of the wearer's clan, deity and level of power.

I also play that, following the Lunar invasion, many clans stopped tattooing or tattooed much more discreetly - even initiation tattoos will be placed on the body somewhere they can be easily hidden if required. So anyone these days with full facial tattoos in a place like Boldhome will be marked as a trouble-maker. (No pun intended). Of course, the wilder free clans tattoo just as vigorously as ever.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

May God us keep