Re: Tattoos

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 21:05:50 -0500

John Hughes says:

>IMG most of the Orlanthi clans I deal with are proud of their tattoos, and
>use them to 'boast' of individual deeds and victories. Most Heortlings can
>read subtle tattoo marks as easily as we read a book, and may learn
>something of the wearer's clan, deity and level of power.

        In "Rastalulf's Saga," Rastalulf insults Lokamayadon by suggesting that he wore a robe to hide his tattoos from the Dara Happans (Enclosure 2, p.33). It seemed like the last of a series of serious insults, after which Rastalulf destroys Lokamayadon's gifts (an act of ferocious contempt), so we can assume the insult was pretty serious. The Orlanthi in gneral are proud of their tattoos it would seem.

Peter Larsen