Re: Tattoos

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 10:02:39 -0000

> With RQ#3 Tattoos were used as foci for spirit/battle magic which
>made for interesting looking characters. Now with the Orlanthi
>gaining feats what use are the Tattoos?

Neatly sidestepping the Orlanthi, there are other cultures where the Tattoos seem to still be connected with magic...

We recently discussed Third Eye Blue, with the concensus that they are probably sorcerors of some kind, yet we also know that they tattoo the "third eye" on the foreheads of their master smiths. I'd strongly suggest that this tattooed eye forms the "talisman" through which their sorcerous spells are cast.

I'd also suspect that tattoos amongst the Animist cultures can be used to form the "physical" aspect of a fetish - Blueface http://www.glorantha.com/library/eurmal/blueface.html is an example of a powerful Tattooed shaman (although the write up doesn't specifically link the tattoos to his power...)