Re: Idea on gifts and geases

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 10:09:56 -0400

This is a rather good thought!

"Grawe, Philipp" wrote:

> Some gifts have been requested many times and the station at that
> point is well mapped out. Every cult temple or shrine knows that if
> you ask for (and I've forgotten the cool name ST gives it) the +5 to
> Close Combat (Sword and Shield), your Geas will be to never use a
> particular non-cult weapon. Hence, when you are trained and taught
> for your initiation, the priest will be strongly advising you to go
> with what's well known.

That's probably right. They all have their own versions of a similar heroquest. Its all about secrets (rather than Secrets). In many cases each clan or tribe guards their versions of quests very jealously. In times of great danger, they may combine their wisdom and reach synthesis and 'new' things are learned - or the more powerful orginal versions of the stories are brought back to light, the patina of tradition cleaned away.

> The danger starts when you ask for a gift that the temple hasn't tried
> before. It's like experimental heroquesting - nobody know what will
> comes out. Sure, nobody is stopping you asking for a gift of +20 to
> your close combat, but the problem is that nobody around here knows
> what the geas will be. Risky stuff and the experienced cult members
> will be strongly advising you to go with the straight and narrow.

Or we know what happens -- they were called the Household of Death. Some gifts are never requested because everyone knows what the price is. And some of them are just way, way too high!

> It also allows particular priests and temples to know extra gifts and
> their geases, simply because somebody somewhere tried it in the past.
>
> Harry.

Yep! Works for me. And it means that syping or stealing the secrets of other rival temples and clans just became a very useful and very dangerous pastime for the 'fast tracking' hero.

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant