Re: Tattoos

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:09:34 -0500

>I've also rule that tattos are pigmented with woad (and are thus blue).
>This allows full time warriors who IMG have more tatoos (since as suggested
>by others they are a form of open boasting which a warrior is more likely to
>participate in that an peaceful Barntari), to use thier tatoos as a sort of
>permament aplication of woad for use for enchantments in battle.

        Come on, Barntari like boasting as much as the warriors, they just boast about different things.... There's a great set of "What my dad says" sidebars in TotRM #19 that is a good example of this. "Warriors? What the women like is a man who'll provide...."

>Non combat types have to line up in front of the Godar with his big pot of
>woad to get the swirling magical runes and picturespainted over their body -
>heavily tattoos huscarls and the like have them already!

        I don't think non-combatants wear woad, but there are certainly warriors who aren't going to have the right feats. I can also see the godi and the woad-pot as part of calling down the wyter's attention and summoning up other war-magics prepared by the clan. "If all out warriros wear this mark, the Lightnings will know where to fall and not to fall...." Plus, it's a cool image, no need to give it up....

Peter Larsen