RE: Re: reference for equipment and cows

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:59:53 +0100

On Saturday, September 08, 2001 9:21 PM, Shannon R. Wright [SMTP:shwright17sons_at_...] wrote:

> But unfortunatly in most FRPG's (GM depending), it is hard to
> get Charaters (players) to think of anything besides hard
> coinage as treasure or of worth.

This is something that I put some thought into when I first started running Hero Wars. I had a player who was only really used to D&D's cash heavy approach. So I made a point, in the first couple of scenarios, of never mentioned *money* and made sure that the rewards her character received weren't cash. It *was* a long time ago, but I think they were:

She was a bit taken aback at first, having expected to be rewarded with piles of cash or something. But I also made sure to mention how impressed NPCs were by these gifts. She soon got used to this difference in approach. It can take players a little while to get into it, though.

And these sought of rewards are much more interesting for characters to boast about than some loose coinage would be.

The main point is that, once the GM *shows* the players that, say, cows are a valid (and perhaps more prestigious) alternative to cash, they soon start to think in terms of cows rather than coins. The abstract Wealth mechanic that HW uses, as opposed to counting every last coin, is very helpful from this point of view.

Regards,

Bruce