Re: Miners & Mine workers

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:19:55 -0000

> While I'm personally happy with the above explanation, Storm Tribe
is quite
> explicit that this is *not* the case, and this was why I raised the
issue in
> the first place.
>
> "Iron is rare, and so are the blacksmiths who work it. Working iron
is far
> more difficult than working bronze. Gustbran's knowledge does *not*
include
> working iron, and his magic will *not* assist in the process." (ST
216,
> emphasis mine).

Yes. You can work it. But remember this: most of a Gustbran's magic is just not going to work on iron. Iron's resistance makes it REALLY hard to work. But I was just trying to avoid an endless subdivision of skills down to the 'making silver finger-rings for ladies' level. =)

> The writeup also nots that 'deposits of the pure metal [bronze] are
found
> throughout Dragon Pass."
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Yes, I know. I wrote that. However, I have no idea what the size of the deposits are. Considring that Dragon Pass was a battleground and crossroads for much of the Godtime, I'd say that there's plenty of small deposits but if there are large ones, they probably have some sort of cult associated with them.

Historically, during ancient times and the dark ages, most smiths in Europe went out and got their own metal. However, during the time of the Roman Empire, there was considerable trade as there was enough social organization to run large iron mines (Spain especially) so that it became possible to just buy your metal. Ifind it very ironic that sword blanks of Roman iron were a major export item to the Germans and Sythians (a sword blank is a sword shaped piece of raw metal that can be beaten and forged).

I'd say most clan smiths know where a small local deposit is which is sufficient for their needs (this is one of the secrets of smithing). Smiths are traditionally a very close mouthed and secretive lot.

Larger operations would probably have a whole clan or bloodline operating the mine under varying circumstances ranging from a 'mom and pop' operation to some galleried pit worked by gangs of thralls or slaves.

But its miserable work for anyone except the geologists. I tell you that for free. =)

Jeff