RE: Re: Triads

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:27:15 +0100

On Monday, October 01, 2001 4:13 PM, Ian Cooper [SMTP:ian_hammond_cooper_at_...] wrote:
> One idea on triads though. For the Celts 3 was a number with magical
> significance (in fact my mother still says 'Trouble comes in threes'
> and when two bad events happen, anxiously awaits the third). However,
> apart from the Unholy Trio, we don't really have such a significance
> with 3 in Orlanthi culture. 7 is the more significant number for
> Heortlings (lightbringers, virtues, seats on the ring, years of a
> king's rule).

Maybe bad things happen in threes and good things happen in sevens (or at least include a seven somewhere). So in the hypothetical "How Humakt's Sword Comes Back", instead of being carried back by a single wolf, seven ravens fly it back to him.

Though I'm damned if I'm having things happen in sevens in my myths. They'll go on *forever*... :)

Regards,

Bruce