Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:45:24 +0100

reinierd_at_... wrote:
> But at the same time [Humakti] can't be too well
> behaved or else no one would fear him. After all, even golden boy
> Elmali are quite expert at inflicting death, and most Orlanthi
> warriors would be considered suicidally brave by today's standards.
> Humakti may be more determined, more skilled, and absolutely
> fearless, but that does not seem scary enough to make "children run
> screaming, women lock doors, and ordinary farmers look away."

Bruce Ferrie and I chatted about this when he had a Humakti character in our campaign. I think one reason they are fearsome to Heortlings is that they do not, in the broadest sense, warn before killing.

A typical Heortling will become angry, boast and throw insults before fighting. These show the other party that they have gone too far and that violence is in the offing; the other party, and any on lookers, have an opportunity to diffuse the situation or offer compensation. Also, a typical Heortling is willing to withdraw after inflicting a wound.

In contrast, the Humakti either does nothing or silently draws their sword and strikes a killing blow. They do not become angry, because anger is for Zorak Zoran, Urox and Urain. They do not throw insults because that is dishonourable. They do not strike to wound, because that is torture, not Death. They tend not to rise to insults, because killing for mere words is not honourable. But a succession of offences or insults can be enough to trigger unannounced action.

Heortlings therefore find it difficult to 'read' the intentions of a Humakti. Was that last jibe enough to set him killing?

Bruce suggested that Heortlings surround Humakti with taboos, to avoid accidently offending them. I think these are basically over politeness. For example, always stepping away from a Humakti to avoid accidently jostling him, or hiding children away in case they say or do something foolish.