Re: [HeroWars]Tarnils and others

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:33:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2001 7:06:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

Me:
> >He was one of the 7 Mothers. He was fundamentally part of her
> >creation. Plus he was a Carmanian Humakti early in his career.
>
> I would argue that his background as a Carmanian Humakti is just as
> fundamental as his 7 Mothers quest. (more below)

Yes, as is his Yuthuppan ancestory, which is heavily influenced by Jenarongi and other views. It is precisely this cosmopolitan upbringing that made him such a wonderful general of combined arms forces. Hence his feats.

> >He turned away from his god and became his own god.

> Hey, I don't know who's making up the new cult stuff, but there is no
> fundamental a-priori need for him to completely reject Humakht.

He rejected the worship of his god to the point that he fought Humakt. No devotee or disciple fights their own god. He became his own god.

> Frankly, since the Goddess teaches healing/acceptance, Yanafal cannot
> reject Humakht, without exceptional reasons.

The goddess teaches how to be a god and she does teach rejection of old ways as well as acceptance of old and new. She is the turner.

> >Yikes, no. Deezola is not linked to CA at all and IO was a
> >Buserian! There is no LM cult in Peloria.

> We're talking mystical links. If you're arguing that IOs background
> as a Buserian is so incredibly important that it precludes any link
> with an extremely similar cult,

But that is the whole point, the cults are not at all similar! They are very different cults in detail, if not in general purpose. Just because in the past RQ said that IO is just LM with mindblast, does not mean this is the case when there is actually time and energy available to examine the Peloria cults and their origins.

>then why isn't Yanafal's Humakti
> bacground just as important?

It is, but not as important as you feel it to be from your comments. He evolved to be a god, much like Arkat did and on the way he changed. This is fundamental in the lunar faith, that change can lead to godhead.

> Surely, the syncretistic Lunars argue for links between Yanafal and
> Humakht, IOT and LM, and Deezola and CA.

As Roderick aptly stated, this is largely propaganda. The cults are really very different, even if there are some similiarities. Even the Carmanian Humakt is not like a Heortling one, even though they are both death.

> In Greg's "nothing is
> really objective" world-view, that makes it true, right? :-)

Hmm, sounds to me like the old subjective-objective argument is rearing its head here! :)

>From what you said in other posts, I can see why you would find the HW
paradigm a problem. I think you seem to want more material, but currently the material you are seeing in HW is not the way _you_ would want it to go. That is fine to, everyone has their opinion. I'm curious, what would you have us Lunar authors do differently?

Martin Laurie