Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:01:46 +1300

At 04:38 PM 10/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>> It is also an Alakoring crime, a Talasting crime and a
>> Sylilan crime. For these reasons, it is permissible to
>> speak of an Orlanthi society. The distinction between
>> cult and society is irrelevant here as Orlanth makes the
>> rules.

>Right. Heortling Humakti are as much part of that society as any
>other Heortling, and so as bound by those mores as any other.

They are not bound by Orlanthi mores in the same way they are bound to their god. They can ignore these mores without retribution from their god. That has been my position from the very start - cf my discussion about Humaktis attitude to rape.

>Orlanthi consider Secret Murder to be dishonourable. Humakti prize
>honour. But you assert that there is no connection between these
>things.

Humakt's honor is different from Orlanths. Humakt's honor is solely about performing the right type of death.

>When you consider that Humakt is Orlanth's brother,

No longer. Humakt's no brother to a thief.

>and
>honour is clearly important to the Umath's-sons, it is inconceivable
>that Humakti honour should be greatly different from Orlanthi honour.

Vadrus has honor? Storm Bull has honor.

>Your consistent replies that Humakti need not do X because X is
>'Orlanthi' would make sense if Humakti were Vulcans who had recently
>beamed down into Sartar.

Yup. And it would make sense if the Humakti were _not_ Vulcans who had repeatedly beamed down into Sartar.

>Heortling Humakti *are not* social outcasts.

I never said they were. The question was about religious crime, not crimes against Orlanthi society.

>The severance story explains why they have no wind
>powers; it does not make them aliens in their own land.

Reread the severance story.

--Peter Metcalfe