Advice for Lunar authors

From: morganconrad_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:53:27 -0000

Martin writes:

>I'm curious, what would you have us Lunar authors do differently?

You asked for it! All IMHO. First thing would be to drop the 200 new gods down to a mere handful. (I dislike the whole "turn the Lunars into Solars" trend, but doubt if that can be changed)

>As Roderick aptly stated, this is largely propaganda.

You could excuse yourself for bias. :-) Seriously, as a "Lunar author", you should either "believe", or at least show symphathy to, their propaganda.

>[Yanafal] rejected the worship of his god to the point that he
>fought Humakt. No devotee or disciple fights their own god.

A heroquester entering Hell must fight Humakht. That includes lots of Humakti heroquesters. And, frankly, I don't see why a devotee can't "fight" (using this term symbolically, more in the meaning of struggle) their own God. Job did. Humakht would be *proud* to engage in honorable combat with a Humakti hero. I would imagine that Gerrans end up in some way "fighting" Gerra to better learn suffering.

>The goddess teaches how to be a god and she does teach rejection of
>old ways as well as acceptance of old and new. She is the turner.

Lunars believe that the Goddess teaches rejection only where absolutely necesary, and then only to the minimum required. After all, she can accept the Bat. (IMO, a bad thing!) Her teachings should change Yanafal from Humakt the minimum required. Any further "rejection" was NOT triggered by Yanafal, it was triggered by Humakht. e.g. Yanafal does not break scimitars wielded by Humakti.

As for Danfive, agreed there was little material, it just sounded like a lot of potential. A nasty guy who was "reformed". Not unlike Orlanth. I've just seen too much (non-official) material emphasizeing the nasty and basically ignoring the "reformed".