Advice and comment

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:13:00 EDT

Morgan:
 Re: "Turning Lunars into Solars"
>My general feel from the limited new Lunar HW material was that
>Issaries.com were really emphasizing the Solar aspects of the Empire,
>not the Lunar.

You've lost me here, this is a problem with the HW material? We finally get some info on the solar cults and you object that they are not lunar? Surely, you wanted to see info on the solar cults, how else would you be able to run the Empire players effectively? How could you run a noble Yelmic house as players or NPCs without knowing the feats of their leaders, traders, bureacrats and soliders? Is this not valuable info?

>For example, why give Buserian equal time with IOT?

Good lord, why not? Buserian is very important in the Empire. Besides, who is to argue what is important to a player or a game? I could say that we should only write up war cults and not bother with IO at all because I am a military fan. But to say so would be unfair to those who want a bit of diversity and are opposed to yet another war or combat cult.

>If this is a misreading of intentions, I'll be happy. Did any others
>read it the same way?

I'm still puzzled as to what you are objecting to. Email is so poor a medium of communication. I get the feeling that you have a dislike of solar culture and are opposed to it in the HW? Am I right? Or is it a question of which we should do first?

>The 200 new Gods complaint applies to the Sartar material too.

?!? But there is oodles of wonderful new material, rich and full of detail! How could you possibly not want to see that? You _didn't_ want to know how the Thunderbrothers are worshipped or who they are, you _didn't_ want to see how Vingkot was worshipped? You _didn't_ want to know the aspects and sub-cults of Orlanth and Ernalda? If not, what _did_ you want?

>For
>the Lunars, I'd much rather see a lot of material about all this
>Yanafal debate than obscure feats of the Solar god of building
>military latrines.

You want us to use the space of the ILH books to debate the nature of Tarnils? You want the Dara Happan ILH to focus on Lunar cults? I don't know what your argument is, plainly we are doing a Lunar book first. After that, a DH book, then Carmania. Each will focus on the specific cultures. What more do you want us to say?

>And several incarnations of the Goddess (e.g. Gerra, Orogeria) have
basically no info.

Which, I have already stated, will be amended in the ILH.

>(disclosure: one of my characters worships Orogeria) Please do a good job
on the >important cults first,

Yes, we'll try.

>then feel free to put in the Rinliddi (or is it Darjiin,
>I mix them up)

Thanks!

The fact that you mix up Rinliddi with Darjiin is both appaling and discouraging and all the more reason why there should be a book on each!

>Goddess of birds pooping on fancy noble's carriages.

This comment and the others you have made lead me to believe that you really have no time for any cultural diversity or depth in the Pelorian region, or that you are opposed to any writing on them at all Is this the case or are you joking to outline your argument?

>Re: rejection vs. tolerance/healing
>Don't know what to say, but sure seems to me that the Goddess would
>fit in great in San Francisco, by emphasizing her tolerance. What
>you call "rejecting the class structure" Lunars call "healing
>injustice".

Well yes, but undoubtedly not seen that way from the DH point of view. The realpolitk of Lunar class creation is that they effectively cut the feet out from the older power groups within the Empire. This is painfully obvious as a political tool and Takenegi did it deliberately after the Jannisor rebellion. The Lunars who do it know that. They use the idealists as their front line but are aware of its effect on other power groups within the Empire.

>Where you see "rejecting patriarchy", Lunars
>see "accepting women as equal members of society".

Er yes, they are the same thing. One has to reject patriarchy to accept women as equal members of society. A patriarchy cannot, by definition, have women as equal members of society. Perhaps we are reading different dictionaries.

>That's why they promulgate all the "St. Brigitte propaganda." If
>they emphasized your negative, rejection side, they wouldn't claim
>the Red Emperor as related to Yelm, they'd tell the Solars "sorry, we
>bitches whupped your MCP ass, go wash the dishes."

Well I suppose so, but if one group rejects the values of another group, it is still rejection, however you euphemise it.

>Seriously, this shows latent Orlanthi bias in you.

Pardon?

>Please whack
>yourself on the side of the head, saying "I'm going to think like a
>Lunar" before writing any material!

Seriously you say. I can only take this serious comment as a severe insult, given that I have spent three years of my life working on Lunar projects and working on the Lunar books in one form or another. Trying, with others of equal intent, to build a coherant and cogent model of the way the Empire works based on evolutionary thinking and lengthy analysis of the materials. Yet for all that, I apparently think like an Orlanthi...Didn't know the Orlanthi spent a lot of time thinking about class struggle...

>Yanafali can use straight blades too!

>Is this just a feature of every campaign I've ever been in all over
>the SF Bay Area?

I don't comprehend your point here.

>Re: Goddess as chaos
>One myth was that she was present in the Golden Age, before Chaos, so
>she need not be "of chaos". This is subject to change as
>Greg "explores" his world. :-)

The Rufelza cult write up says otherwise, have you read it?

Sedenya was present in the Golden Age, Rufelza is her latest incarnation. A form of Natha.

"Rufelza is the Red Moon: red blood, red earth, and red rage. She was created when Wakboth the Destroyer impregnated the great goddess Glorantha, and born when the Spike exploded. She was reborn as the avatar Teelo Estara; conquered this world, the Other World, and then Chaos; and brought Glorantha back to life. When everyone worships Her then the world will be whole."

Martin Laurie