Re: Advice and Comment

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:22:44 -0000

Just to intervene again,

Well

(a) You aren't getting Avarnia, but then this is the *lunar* book, covering *lunar* deities and Avarnia is specifically Rinliddi. Maybe this distinction hasn't been clear enough - the Lunar Pantheon is a separate, parallel one, found throughout the empire *alongside* local ones. So in Dara Happa you get Lunars and Solars; in Tarsh, Lunars and Alakoring Orlanthi-without-Orlanth and in Rinliddi, Lunars and Avarnia and the rest of the Rinliddi pantheon. ILH-2 will be Solar, ILH-3 probably Carmanian. Such an important deity as Avarnia will definitely be in whichever book the Rinliddi appear.

(b) But in terms of your general point, why not Avarnia? Now if anything, Martin is much more into martial and PC-appealing cults than me, but ultimately this is not just a catalogue of fun feats from which to pick and choose, like some SF game's gun digest, it's an exploration of a culture to provide not only player keywords but also the necessary backdrop so, at last, people can run Lunar games without having to wing it. So along with Yanafal (and other cool combat cults) there will be Teelo Norri and Gerra, there will be subcults devoted to stewardship and dance. You may not want to play one (though why not? it's fun to explore different types of hero), but if nothing else they will be there as the cast of extras around you.

> Excellent. Except Peter said that they were NOT to be in the new
> books, I had to find the out-of-print, "work-in-progress" (nice
> euphemism) Entekosiad. I hope you get the final word here...

I don't think Peter did say that. There's certainly no hidden conflict...

I hope this helps clear things up a little. It's obviously difficult (and frustrating!) talking about a book that won't be out for months...

Mark